When out on a bike, you should always prioritize safety.
As kids, we rode our bicyclist everywhere – to the playground, to the park, to school and to our friends’ homes. Now, as adults, many enjoy bicycling as a form of exercise. If you are one of many who intends to take your bike out to enjoy the weather and exercise, please take some extra precaution.
Bicycle accidents typically occur because
- Motorists are careless;
- Bicyclists are not visible to motorists;
- A motorist tries to overtake a cyclist and in the process, drives the cyclist off the road, or
- There is a lack of traffic signal or stop sign.
So, what is the best way of protecting yourself?
- You should always wear a properly fitted bicycle helmet. It is the single most effective way to prevent a head injury.
- Increase your visibility by wearing fluorescent or brightly colored clothing during the day, dawn, and dusk. At night, you should use a front light and a red reflector or flashing rear light, and use retro-reflective tape on equipment or clothing.
- Bicyclists are considered “vehicle operators”. So, you are required to obey the same rules of the road as operators of other vehicles. This means obeying traffic signs, signals, and lane markings.
- If you are the motorist, you should allow at least three feet clearance when passing a bicyclist, look for cyclists before opening a car door or pulling out from a parking space, and yield to cyclists at intersections and as directed by traffic signs and signals. You should especially watch for cyclists when making right or left turns.
Bicycling still remains a healthy and safe activity. So, enjoy the weather, enjoy a day in the sun and some exercise with your bike – just take some precautions to be safe.
We are here to protect and help bicyclists. If you are involved in a bicycle accident, and want to know your rights, please contact us for a free consultation and for assistance.
Our Contact Info:
Email: [email protected]
The Mason Law Firm 28494 Westinghouse Place, Suite 202 Valencia, CA 91355
This article is brought to you by Mason Rashtian of The Mason Law Firm, a full-service personal injury attorney and accident lawyer. We represent clients all throughout California and Los Angeles County, including the Santa Clarita Valley, Valencia, Stevenson Ranch, Canyon Country, Newhall, and the entire San Fernando Valley.
We can be reached at (661) 270-5677.
This article is meant for informational purposes only.