Santa Clarita Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Riding a bike, whether for exercise or transportation, should be a pleasant experience. Motorists frequently fail to recognize bicycles as road users or fail to provide adequate space for them. Bicyclists are injured far too frequently. If you were injured in a bicycle accident caused by a careless driver in Valencia, Santa Clarita, or the greater Los Angeles area, The Mason Law Firm can assist you in fighting for compensation.
Common Causes Of Bicycle Accidents
In some cases, a bicyclist is not visible to a careless motorist, bus or truck driver who tries to make a turn in front of the bicyclist, striking the cyclist in the process. In other cases, cars or motorcyclists try to overtake a cyclist and either strike the cyclist or drive them off the road. Other accidents result from a lack of traffic signals or stop signs. Yet other causes can be attributed to highway debris, unsafe guardrails or poor lighting conditions. Statistics also reveal that:
- 69% of bicycle fatalities occurred in urban areas.
- 59% of bicycle-related fatalities occurred at nonintersections.
- The highest number of accidents occurred between the hours of 4 p.m. and 7:59 p.m. (30%), while the fewest number of accidents occurred between 12 a.m. and 3:59 a.m.
How Can You Be Safer?
Whether you set out to ride your bike or you are sharing the road with bikes, here are a few things to keep in mind to keep everyone safer on the road:
- Wear the right gear. Always wear a helmet that fits correctly. They save lives and protect you from a severe head injury. Also consider proper lighting on both the front and back of your bike, even if the sun is not completely down. Be sure to wear bright colors or reflective gear.
- Know the rules of the road. Under the law, a bicycle is a vehicle and cyclists must obey all traffic rules, just like a car. These rules help keep you safe and visible to cars.
- Pay attention to bikes when you are driving your car. Just as cyclists must obey the traffic laws, drivers must treat them like another vehicle on the road. That means giving them plenty of space, yielding to them at intersections when appropriate or making turns and watching for them before you open your car door.
Despite the statistics, bicycling still remains a healthful, inherently safe activity for tens of millions of people every year. So, enjoy a day in the sun with your bicycle – just take some extra precautions to be safe. However, should you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position of sustaining a personal injury in a bicycle-related accident, please feel free to contact us for a free consultation. We will educate you as to your options and protect your rights.
Schedule Your Free Consultation
If you need advice regarding a bicycle accident, please call our office in Valencia for your free consultation. We never charge you unless we recover for you. Call 661-270-5677 or reach out to us online today.